16 April 2012

the small things










I'm not quite sure where to go with this blog. I have written about 10 posts in my head this past month, but in my head they have stayed. I am in a constant struggle between keeping this creative outlet alive but also feeling that, at this point in my life, I need to be present more than ever. Enjoying the moment, being in the now, creating memories. Rather than worrying about capturing them.

I have also changed as a person since Everly came into my life. I used to spend hours looking at design blogs, buying little pieces of art and handmade, spending days moving rooms, spring cleaning and redecorating. Having a little one has changed everything. Time, mainly. But my focus has shifted. Less clutter. More simplicity. Less cleaning. More happy mess. Less frantic and busy. More slowing down. Less possessions. More happiness.

Being on one income has a lot to do with it, too. I now spend most of my time menu planning to fit a tight budget. No quick takeaways. No eating out. We now have a little person's clothes and shoes to buy (and, oh my, do they grow out of everything so quickly!) And, of course, there's no extra money to buy those lovely things I see on blogs.

It has definitely made me look around and appreciate the small things in life. To prioritise love, family, health and happiness over a beautiful house, nice clothes and other less important things.  

Maybe I just need to change the focus of this blog to just that - the everyday.

Until I figure it out, I'm going to enjoy this unseasonably hot April weather by splashing about in a fluro pink pool in the backyard, playing and laughing with my girl.

Apologies if you have already seen these photos on instagram.

14 comments:

  1. love the term 'happy mess'. you will find balance, just give yourself time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always seen mess as stressful, so I'm trying to change my perspective ;) x

      Delete
  2. such cheerful pics.

    everly is such a gorgeous name!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was having an absolute laugh that day!
      Thank you, we love her name too :)

      Delete
  3. I have gone through so many changes since piper came into my life. I too had a constant flow of beautiful things I wanted, free time sipping tea and lusting over cute new blogs. You don't need to change anything, do what you said at the end there. Live in the now. Blog when the urge hits and about what you feel in that moment. Be it new shoes, or how to stretch $50 over 8 meals! Some of that old you will be back soon, just a better, grown-up and more aware version of her;). Go gently, x Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley, I am following your advice! Not thinking about it too much and just blogging when I get the urge. I keep hearing those fantastic two words - go gently. The Universe is telling me something ;) x

      Delete
  4. I could have written this same post, Jess x

    (and just - almost - did!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just saw this comment - oops! Yes, I think us Mum bloggers all hit this wall at some point! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, truer words can not be spoken. Isn't it funny how we change. I still love the things I used to enjoy - rummage sale-ing, design blog hopping. But there is something I love even more now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Life takes on a whole new meaning, doesn't it? x

      Delete
  6. I do love this post jess, I think you took the words right out of many a mother's mouth! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tahnee! Yes, as I said to Claire above, I think all Mums (and especially Mummy bloggers) all hit this wall at some point! x

      Delete
  7. I appreciate this post, thank you for sharing.
    The constant battle for balance can be exhausting...however it reminds me of how blessed we are to have so many things to balance.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...