30 July 2012

Raw brownies with chocolate avocado frosting




Raw brownies with chocolate avocado frosting
Makes 16 squares
Adapted from here and here 

With a sneaky addition of avocado, these delicious gluten free, dairy free, raw and vegan brownies will have everyone fooled! Sweetened naturally by dates and agave nectar, and full of nutritional raw foods like walnuts, cacao and avocado, I definitely don't feel guilty eating these for breakfast. This recipe makes more frosting than you need, so feel free to do as I do - spread half of it over the brownie base and enjoy the rest spooned into two small bowls as chocolate pudding for dessert.

Brownie base:
2 cups dates, pitted
2 cups walnuts
2/3 cup raw cacao (or good quality cocoa powder)

Frosting:
2 ripe avocados, pitted
1/3 cup raw cacao (or good quality cocoa powder)
1/3 cup raw agave nectar (or honey)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt

Line a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper (ensure there is paper hanging over the sides so you can lift it out when the brownies are set). Combine walnuts, dates and the 2/3 cup cacao in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles potting soil or clumps of dirt, then pat firmly into the bottom of the cake pan.

To make the frosting, scoop the flesh of the avocados into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add the cacao, agave, vanilla and salt and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides when necessary. Spread the frosting evenly over the brownie base, then place in the freezer for about an hour to set. Lift the brownies out of the pan and slice into squares.

--------

Next time I have a brownie craving, I'll be buying fresh Medjool dates and making these!

I did plan on taking some quality photos of these brownies the following day after they'd set, but... uh, we kind of forgot about it and ate them all. Oops! So a dodgy night-time instagram pic will have to do!

4 comments:

  1. YUM, THEY SOUND AMAZING! WOULD BE SO KEEN TO TRY THESE BUT I CAN'T HAVE DATES OR AGAVE DUE TO THE FRUCTOSE... BOO! (SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITALS, MY KEYBOARD IS DYING THANKS TO A SPILL TODAY...BOO AGAIN!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, they sound devine!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. I must try these! Will the fool the kids too?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...