18 April 2013

GOODBYE TOOTH





I've been a little quiet around here... a combination of not having the urge to write, and not wanting to take photos while I enjoy days with my little family. Last Saturday we spent the day at the Willunga Waldorf School for their Autumn Fair, and I consciously left my camera at home. We wandered the school grounds (we hope for Everly to start there in 2017), Everly painted her own streamer wand and played in the Kindy sandpit, we ate delicious curry and frozen fruit icecream, and listened to beautiful music in the sun. I also managed to get a little of Everly's birthday shopping out of the way (she turns two in June) - a handmade wooden farm animal set and a tiny felt mouse. It was so lovely to experience the vibrant and welcoming Waldorf community and reminded me again why we want to make the move to Willunga one day.

Then, it was my birthday on the 13th. I was surprised with flowers and chocolate, and coffee and cake with my little family at my favourite bakery in the morning. Unfortunately, in the afternoon, Everly took a nasty fall from the kitchen step-stool and knocked out her front tooth. It was a huge shock for her, and for Mark and I, as I scooped her up in my arms to discover blood pouring from her lips. A quick look in her mouth proved my concerns, and shortly after Mark discovered her tooth on the kitchen floor. Everly was such a brave little soul through it all and, after a few minutes of crying and a dose of Chamomilla, she was back to her usual happy, bubbly self. At the emergency dental surgery we were informed there wasn't anything else we could do. The entire tooth had come out clean, so she will now have a cute gappy grin for the next five years, possibly longer as eruption can often be delayed in these cases.

I am still in absolute awe of how Everly has coped with it all. She had no pain relief whatsoever and the only complaint I heard from her was the next day when she bit down on her toast during breakfast and said 'Ouch'. It has been a beautiful reminder of how truly strong and resilient this little girl of ours is. Honestly, I think I was more affected by the incident than she! An intense wave of Mama guilt washed over me, as Everly has had quite a few falls from the step-stool already, albeit much less traumatic, and I began the usual 'what-if' talk to myself, completely unnecessary but what I tend to do under stress. My nerves were truly rattled and as soon as we returned from the dentist I promptly burst into tears! Luckily, my lovely husband organised for my Mum and Dad to come over after Everly had been bathed and put to bed, and he took me out for dinner for Chinese (and a much-needed big glass of wine!). Here's hoping next year's birthday is a little less eventful!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Jess, that sounds so stressful. You poor thing! Everly sounds amazing. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jess... I really feel for you and Everly (as a child whose both front brand new adult teeth were wiped out clean in a roller skating accident when I was young!). I had strange looking temporary teeth for years until i was old enough to get veneers.

    I guess you can try to focus on the positive of this being her baby tooth and the promise that another one will eventually return in it's place. Still, must have been so traumatic for you all. Everly is a trooper... and don't doubt yourself for a second, Mama. Accidents happen so easily!

    And... happy birthday! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! That's horrible, isn't it?

    I lost my front teeth when I tripped up the concrete stairs to our house as a kid - I've only got very vague memories of it. I remember there was a business card from the dentist with a drawing of an elephant on it that I loved and I remember snoozing on the couch afterwards and it was probably the only time in my childhood that I got some peace from my brother & sister who must've been on strict instructions to leave me be! They were my baby teeth, and when the new ones came through they were crooked. I eventually got braces when I was a teenager and that fixed 'em!

    Hope the rest of your birthday was good though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor you and Everly. My eldest daughter was jumping on the bed when she was about three and fell and knocked her tooth on the corner of a chest of drawers. It instantly went grey and we thought she would lose it. However it stayed in and remained grey until she lost it at six. Accidents happen don't they? As mothers we can only do so much to protect our children for falls.
    Happy happy belated birthday lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really saddening but I must admit little miss is really brave and strong. Hope to see her complete smile one day. Belated to you dear. :) Got my eye on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's incredible how strong children are! But not mummys...
    Hope you feel better now!
    Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you poor things, you and Everly!! What a brave little soul. I can imagine how shaken you must have been though xx

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...