04 April 2013

OUR EASTER WEEKEND












We are still trying to figure out what Easter means in our little family.

We are not religious, yet I still yearn for celebration, tradition and a little bit of magic in our lives. I grew up believing in the Easter Bunny (or Osther Hase), Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy and I believe it's this magic that truly makes childhood full of wonder and delight.

So, trying our hardest to avoid the commercialism of Easter, we dyed eggs the day before (red cabbage for blue, and fresh beetroot for pink - you can see more natural dying options here) and opted for a simple Easter hunt in the backyard on Sunday morning. Everly was super excited about her special Easter basket and, after donning a raincoat and gumboots, raced outside. She needed a little help to get started, but then she was off, running around the garden to find the next one, and the next one!

Following a tradition I grew up with, Everly received winter pyjamas from her Mummy and Daddy. She also unwrapped this little book - a tradition of our own that we hope to continue on for many years (I think there are 23 books in the series, so it will take awhile!) We baked spelt bread rolls, sweetened with a little coconut sugar and decorated with currants. No chocolate in sight and she was none the wiser!

Next year, I plan on telling Everly this Australian Easter Bunny story at bedtime every night in the week leading up to Easter. (Thank you Jo for the reminder about Meagan's lovely bunny story.) I must get started on crafting those rabbits!

In other news, I had the flu all weekend, we woke early Sunday morning to a poo explosion and a little girl with a tummy bug (she quickly perked up so we think it was related to her dairy intolerance), and then our washing machine broke! Keepin' it real.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jess! I think we share similar values re: Easter. We do have some chocolate in the house but we keep in minimal and give our kids other bits and bits too...the commercialism is nauseating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the way everly is holding the basket on her arm, jess does that too, its very cute.

    we are not religious but i love easter. i don't like the commercialism of it either, there are so many other ways to celebrate to make it a magical time for little ones x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Jess! And glad she is getting some good use out of that raincoat :) She looks adorable!

    Hope you all had a great Easter. Id like to say I went chocolate free.. unfortunately I indulged breakfast, lunch and dinner all weekend.. oops! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these photographs are SO adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's nice to set your own family traditions at times like this :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely Easter, so nice to make your own traditions! You can see her excitement in the photos, so cute! x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...