28 November 2012

A HAPPY HOME



I love Spring and its sense of renewal. Not only in nature with new growth and blossoming flowers, but also of self and home, brought upon by the big Spring clean and the lightness of longer days. I'll be sad to see it go as we enter the hot and (oh-so) dry Summer that is synonymous with the south of Australia. This year I am especially thankful for Spring because, despite it taking me almost the entire three months of the season, I have finally discovered what I need in my living space in order to be happy (and being a Mum who spends a lot of time at home, I really needed this!). The result is my own little four-step guide to a harmonious living environment, one that I can refer to again and again, to remind me that a happy home equals a happy me!

So, here's my recipe for a happy home:

1) Declutter! I am a habitual collector - I love things. This was a challenging task for me to confront. But once I got started, I loved it! I found the easiest way to start the declutter process was by doing the '27 Fling'. I took an empty cardboard box, then went around the house until I had collected 27 items to give away. Allow yourself only 10 minutes so you don't get sidetracked or over-think the process (set a timer if you get easily distracted like me!). Then put the box(es) in your car immediately, and drop off to the Salvo's/opshop/thrift store the next time you go out. Now when I'm out opshopping I find myself pausing longer to decide if I really need this or that in my home.

2) Clear negative energy. I used a white sage smudge stick (bought at my local healing centre). Light the smudge stick and gently blow out the flames, allowing the stick to smolder. Walk through the areas of your home you wish to clear (I did the entire house), commanding that all negative energies be removed. Leave your house closed up for an hour or so. On returning, open up all the windows and doors and allow the sun and breeze to spread through. You may also like to light a candle and burn your favourite incence or oil (I burned Spritual Guide incence to spread the fragrance of peace). Finally, bless your home by asking that only peace and serenity be in the dwelling at all times. *Cleansing with white sage is good to use after arguments or any upsets or traumas, and also if you have a lot of secondhand furniture, which can harbour negative energies from its previous owners. 

3) Add colour. It has taken me a few years but I've finally realised that my favourite colours are pink and blue. In all their variations and shades - fluro pink, pastel pink, coral, blush, bright blue, light blue, mint - I love them all. I discovered I had a lot of pink and blue in my house already, but it was just lost amongst all of the other stuff I had on display. The decluttering got rid of the items I no longer need or like, so my favourite things in pink and blue are now centre stage.

4) Bring nature indoors. An impromptu trip to Bunnings one early evening while Mark and Everly played in the bath (the store at the end of our street comes in very handy!) resulted in a lovely fern for our humid kitchen, a vibrant pink New Guinea Impatiens for the lounge, and a little potted succulent. Their presence instantly lifted the mood in our home. Studies show that simply looking at plants and natural elements reduces stress levels, and plants also have the ability to cleanse toxins and pollutants in the air. Next on my list is sourcing a vintage hanging basket so I can add a fern to the bathroom, and buying two larger plants to sit next to the computer and the TV.

Now, with a lighter, brighter and happier home, I finally feel I'm ready for the busy-ness and intensity of Summer.

Do you have your own special ingredients for a happy home? I'd love to know!

4 comments:

  1. Declutter, beeswax candles, plants, light, smells of cooking and baking, and natural things (baskets, shells, wood, wicker) make me at peace with my home. Love your steps above. Beautiful pics too, x ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list! I'm with you on colour. I like a little clutter, but it does need to be organized clutter to make me feel happy. Cleanouts every few months are good. And flowers from the garden always put me in good spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list Jess. I'm very good with with decluttering! Prior to having children, I was a bit of a nomad and I lived out of one suitcase for a few years. I wasn't attached to much. It's a good thing. But it's also nice to nest. And because I spend so much time in our nest, I'm learning how to feather it. I take my time collecting anything. It really has to "speak to me". I love pink too :) but my husband would freak out if I used too much of it. LOL. I sneak bits of it here and there! I like your idea of a plant inside...especially near the computer...

    I like playing music, burning essential oils, opening doors and windows and having pretty flowers to look at. And walking barefoot.

    So lovely to see you back here. It's always good to come here and read your posts.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and timely way for me to start my weekend! Thanks for sharing such lovely ideas. So pleased to have found your lovely little space. Will be back this afternoon with a cup of tea for a good potter around. Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    Steph :)
    thisbrownwren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...