This afternoon, when she woke from her nap, Everly discovered a tiny root baby waiting for her in the kitchen, surrounded by flowers picked from our garden. She immediately tucked it between her cheek and neck for a 'cuddle' and then climbed into my lap to inspect it more closely, turning it over in her hands, and softly touching the fibres of the miniature crocheted hat.
I then showed her the other surprise, the My First Root Children book by Sibylle von Olfers (a simplified board book version of the classic Story of the Root Children). She listened eagerly as I read the story to her for the very first time - a wonderful tale of Mother Nature and the small root children who sleep underground in Winter and come out to play in Spring.
She asked to read it again, and again, until we had read it from front to back six times over.
When we went out in the afternoon to run some errands, Everly clutched her new little friend tightly to her chest for the entire car trip, and continued to hold her for most of the trolley ride at the shopping centre, too. I think it's safe to say she likes her.
I made this little root baby on Saturday afternoon at a darling little shop in the Adelaide hills, under the expert guidance of local Waldorf dollmaker, Heidi Thickins.
You are so clever, she's beautiful! I love how Everly already seems so attached to her.
ReplyDeleteThe book looks beautiful too. I'll have to keep an eye out for these x
Aww, thanks lovely :) x
DeleteHow gorgeous. I've never heard of this book, but love the look of it. xx
ReplyDeleteIt's only very new - a board book version of the longer original story.
DeleteWhat a tender and beautiful way to present a gift, Jess. No wonder Everly was enamoured with her mama-made doll - with such thought into the act of giving, she would have been aware that it was a real treasure x (I'm looking forward to hearing more about your Waldorf journey) x
ReplyDeleteThank you for your lovely words Claire :) x
DeleteThis is lovely in so many ways...so much magic you've created for Everly. You're very clever :) I think mumamade gifts are the best. I brought a little peg doll from the Little Gnomes Home because I too wanted to make something simple and sweet but that evokes alot of emotion. xx
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Nicole :) I love Natalie's little peg dolls, they are on my wishlist for next year for Everly! x
DeleteWow what a beautiful story and will be such a magical memory for her to look back upon. Xx
ReplyDeleteThank you :) x
DeleteI adore this little person. Would love to attend a workshop like this. Everly is a lucky little girl! xx ashley
ReplyDeleteThanks lovely :) Is there a Steiner/Waldorf shop anywhere near you that runs courses? I loved making it, it was so much fun! x
DeleteHow how divine! Clever mama! I am off to check out the book now, sounds so sweet. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks lovely! :)
DeleteSo beautiful Jess. Didn't know you could get hard cover version of book - is it second hand or new?
ReplyDeleteI owe you a few replies over my way...tomorrow I promise!
xx
It's only newly published, a shorter board book version of the original. I will get the original hardcover when Everly is a little older I think. x
DeleteHi Jess,
ReplyDeleteI recently received the leibster award, and I've passed it onto you because I love reading your blog. Keep up the lovely, inspiring posts. No pressure to pass it on (you may have already received and passed on! i'm a little late in the whole blogging game!).
Lee-Anne x
Thank you so much Lee-Anne, that is so very lovely of you! It's nice to know people like what I'm writing :) x
Delete