03 May 2012
the magic basket
Everly's toy collection is fairly minimal - a wooden rainbow, a wooden stacking ring, some soft dolls and stuffed animals, a few balls in various sizes, and a couple of wooden musical instruments (xylophone, maracas).
I'm super glad we haven't gone overboard with toys for her, as she tends to gravitate to anything but -- my iPhone, the TV remote, the laptop, and my bedside table (jewellery, cups of water, tissues and iPhone charger - aka the motherload) - something I'm sure all babies do. She also has her own cupboard in the kitchen with some tupperware, a wooden spoon and a few other odds and ends. These are the toys she loves the most -- everyday, simple items around our home.
So when I noticed Everly becoming bored with her current toy collection, I decided to create something new for her to play with. Taking inspiration from this Mum and this article, I went searching around the house, bought a few kitchen utensils from a $2 shop, scrounged around in some oppies, and popped it all in a basket.
Behold, the Magic Basket!
The idea is to bring it out once a day (when Everly's had a nap, is fed and happy) and simply place it in front of her. Then I sit back. She has total control over discovering what's inside and choosing what to play with (sometimes it's the whole basket's contents, some days only a couple of items). I don't show her how to 'use' anything, and I don't help unless she clearly asks (and even when she does get frustrated, I wait a little while as she often figures it out for herself in time).
The very first time I offered her the basket, she moved metal bracelets and jar lids back and forth between two containers for an hour. Not once did she ask for help or for me to sit with her (what usually happens). She looked up once or twice to catch my eye and smile at me - she was having so much fun! Everly has a short attention span and has never coped well with independent play, so this was a huge thing for her! (and for me! Ummm, helloooo Instagram and blog reading time!)
After only a week or two playing with this, Everly is now showing signs of boredom with its contents, so tomorrow I will add a few new items - a lemon, a large avocado stone, some squares of fabric and an old scarf.
If you'd like to try this out yourself, this is what is currently in our Magic Basket:
metal tin lids
wooden spoons of various shapes and sizes
metal whisk
small cane basket with lid
small cardboard box with lid
ribbon
pastry brush with natural fibres
metal scoop
glass jars of various sizes
pine cone
pebbles
shells
natural loofah
napkin ring
metal bracelets of different thicknesses
painted wooden bracelet
mirror
egg trays
wooden dolly pegs
cardboard tubes from alfoil/cling wrap
toilet rolls
old leather wallet
egg ring
small teak compartment tray
There are a few more suggestions in this article.
The concept of heuristic play has been a huge eye-opener for me, and a joy to watch. I'd love to know if you have your own type of 'treasure basket', or if you have any other ideas for imaginative play.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'm going to give this a try, Jess. Remembered Claudia writing about it a while back and thought it would be a lovely way for little ones to explore. Thanks for putting together such a good post on the subject - very helpful!
ReplyDeleteI'll let you know once I've set it up. Am kind of looking forward to a little treasure hunt for the bit and pieces to pop inside :)
x
I love this too. Maybe Josephine's a little young right now, but give it a month or so! I've bookmarked this page!
ReplyDeleteLove the idea of Heuristic play too so this really intrigues me xx
You could always find a basket and start gathering your goodies now - it took me 2-3 weeks to get everything together. I hope you try it out with success :) x
Delete