23 December 2011

expectations


Everly's first Christmas. I was filled with excitement when it began to near. But I had no idea it would suddenly bring with it huge expectations on what Christmas should be like now that Everly is here.

I had big plans. Plans to make wrapping paper with Everly using butchers paper and paint, or maybe even wrap all our gifts in kraft brown paper adorned with a red pom pom. Plans to sit down and make my own illustrated christmas cards. I had plans to mix up some homemade playdough using this no-cook recipe to make little gifts for Everly's two besties. I had plans to sew an advent calendar, a family heirloom to be displayed every Christmas, with pockets that can be filled with treats and small toys - or even just cupcake cases with twine handles strung up on the wall. Plans to buy a real tree like this family and garnish it with handmade decorations.

Did I get any of this accomplished?
Nope.
And, I can proudly say, I don't care one bit!

This year has been all about HUGE expectations - namely 1) the birth of Everly and 2) the birth of myself as a Mum. Two amazing life-changing events that went very differently to how I saw them unfold in my mind. And it's taken me six-and-a-half months to figure out (with a whole lot of depressed days, tears, anger, frustration, soul searching and therapy sessions) that it doesn't matter. What matters most is those special moments - labouring at home, in my own space, surrounded by love and excitement... arriving home after those two endless days in hospital, sitting on my own lounge and stroking Everly's hair as she cuddled up to my chest... Mark and I gazing in wonder at the little life we created, just sleeping there so peacefully between us... her first smile... her first laugh. All those things, and so much more. They are what really matters.

So, this year, Christmas is our usual, stumpy, plastic tree, decorated with IKEA balls and tinsel. The gifts are messily wrapped in cheap wrapping paper. On the mantel are two Cadbury advent calendars. But I'm smiling. And I have Everly and Mark and my amazing family and friends. There's always next year for handmade and crafty (and I might even be nice to myself by drastically reducing that crazy Christmas To Do list.)

I did accomplish one thing I had planned - I managed to restrain myself from buying too much for Everly. We tried to focus on only four gifts (as suggested by Simplicity Parenting via Claudia) - something they want (Everly is too young to 'want', so this was the perfect opportunity to buy the rainbow puzzle blocks I love), something they need (a wooden activity walker [thanks Em for the tip-off], plus a small pull-along deer on wooden wheels, for when she starts crawling/walking), something to wear (a cute Bebe romper to wear on Christmas Day) and something to read (okay, so I did buy her five books...) But I'm quite proud to say all of her gifts are practical or sustainable. (Oh, except for the cheap-yet-so-amazing fluro pink pool I just had to throw in the mix - idea totally stolen from Claire!).

Anyway, the main point of this post was to thank you for visiting, for reading, for caring, and for your lovely comments this year. I wish you all a wonderful Christmas filled with love, laughter and happiness!

Here's to 2012 - the year of no expectations! x

6 comments:

  1. Guess what, I wrapped Olive's and my nieces presents in paper we stamped with a potato stamper (never to be attempted again until she is far, far older. It was a big, disturbing mess) and with a pom pom, and the rest? Newspaper with wool wrapped around it. Present fail! But who cares, really? It's about what's inside that counts. Your daughter is super cute and I love her name! Merry Christmas to you. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is such a beautiful post - you sound very at peace - and that's what Christmas is all about...

    ...that and a fluro pink blow up pool ;)

    Happy Happy to you and yours! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Claire, you sound like you're in a great place & are fully embracing what Christmas is really about...being with the people you love most. Ultimately, whether it's been lovingly stamped and wrapped with perfection or is the cheapest you can find, the paper will get ripped off and chucked!!

    Have an awesome Christmas lovely, lots of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry christmas to you all! Have a wonderful first family Christmas. Lovely words, and wise too - the year of no expectations...I like that! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this lovely post, one I can relate to on many levels. I'm glad you liked the advent calendar, I didn't get much further with my decorations though. I've been feeling so unfestive!
    Long live those special moments.
    I've loved visiting, and look forward to visiting again in 2012.
    Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you've had a good start to the year. I think your down-to-earth approach to the chaos that can be Xmas was great (and pretty sensible).

    Thanks for your comments re the sleep thing......and I must say I've noticed a few more of those 'knocks' lately ;) Getting a little more daring now that she's made a space for herself in our bed!
    x

    Ps. Am just starting Simplicity Parenting after reading about it through Claudia's blog also. Have to force myself to read 'real' books too sometimes....

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...