28 September 2010

homemade baked beans


Normally I'm the cook in the house, but on the weekend my husband had a go at making homemade baked beans. I've never been a fan of the canned variety, but I'm sure any one who is would be converted! It didn't take long to make and it's a very simple recipe for those lacking confidence in the kitchen. We doubled the recipe, which has supplied us with breakfast for the whole week.

Homemade baked beans
From Bill Granger 'Everyday'

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion
100 g pancetta
1 garlic clove
2 anchovies
1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
2 x 400g tin canellini or butter beans
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 160C. Heat the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Add the onion and pancetta and cook, stirring for 5-6 minutes, or until slightly crisp. Add the garlic, anchovies, thyme and oregano and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the tomatoes and 125ml of water, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for another 10 minutes. Stir in the beans, put a lid on the casserole and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve on toasted sourdough with a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.

1 comment:

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...