12 June 2013

EVERLY IS TWO









She woke early and we called out 'Happy birthday!' as we opened her door and smothered her with birthday kisses. She ran through streamers strung from her door frame, into the kitchen where her birthday ring* and gifts were waiting on the table. She listened intently as I told her birthday story, lighting the candles as I spoke - the star candle to celebrate her birth and the day we became parents, and then another two candles for her first and second birthdays.

She opened the card all by herself ("No, my do it!"), tearing the envelope at the corner and ripping it open with her finger, just like Mama (I am constantly amazed by how much she observes and mimics). In a little felt bag hid four tiny gnomes, lovingly handmade by the dear Steph from This Brown Wren**. Wrapped in playcloths (handmade by our playgroup leader - Thanks Lila!) were a butterfly puzzle and two books: The Terrible Plop (a little too long for her at the moment, so we'll revisit in a couple of months) and A Bit Lost (quickly a crowd favourite).

Hiding in the loungeroom was her final birthday surprise - a play farm we set up the night before on a green playcloth, with handcrafted wooden animals from local woodmaker Heinz Huxholl, felt trees I made the night before (nothing like the last minute!), and a little pond and mud patch simply cut from wool felt. I will always remember the look on Everly's face as she walked into the lounge. How magical it would be to be a child again!

She enjoyed pancakes for breakfast, a visit from Oma (who came bearing gifts of art supplies and new shoes), a play at the park, chasing balloons around the house, and her favourite for dinner (chicken schnitzels, mashed potato and fennel salad).

Happy birthday to my Everly, my caring, clever, independent and funny little girl who thinks farts are hilarious (they are!), talks all day long, and is a constant source of delight and wonder. I still can't quite believe you are TWO! I love you so much.

*Originally a German tradition, the birthday ring is now also commonly used in Waldorf-inspired families. Typically, the ring is filled with candles as well as ornaments that hold a particular meaning for the child. We chose the rocking horse to symbolise Everly's first birthday as she loved anything to do with horses (she still does!) and she received a large wooden rocking horse as her gift from Mark and I. The dog ornament is for her second birthday as she adores our dog Billy, points to every dog we see when out n' about, and imitates all the dogs in her Hairy Maclary books. I filled the rest of the ring with rocks, shells and leaves we have collected together from our trips to the beach and neighbourhood walks, as well as the crystal she received at playgroup when the story of the Rainbow Bridge was told. 

**Steph, Everly was absolutely delighted by the gnomes! They have been on many cartrips already, clutched tightly in her hand. I'm sure they will continue to be treasured for many years. Thank you again!

5 comments:

  1. So lovely to be celebrated in this way. A special heritage that you create within her. We love the terrible plop around here and we make people read it when they come for a play just to hear the different ways people read it. It makes me laugh every time! Another one that does this is "the tiger who came to tea". That farm set is really something else. and your trees turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky girl, such sweet gifts! Reading this tugged at my heart strings a little. For all of Matilda's 3 birthdays so far I have felt that swell inside my chest. These days are just golden, aren't they?! Your girl seems such a little treasure, I'm sure she is.xx

    P.S The little birthday card is adorable! It could be Matilda... Or me! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love every detail Jess. What a beautiful celebration for your beautiful little girl. Two is a great (and challenging;)) year! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magic day for your little love! I'm so pleased she enjoys her little gnomes. I am ever inspired by your wonderful ways with her x

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...