Here she is. Finally, I can show you what I have been making - on and off - for the past six months.
A best friend, a companion, a Waldorf doll - with red hair and brown eyes, just like Everly. Handmade by her Mama with so much love (and the occasional swear word), under the expert guidance of local dollmaker Heidi Thickins, who also made the doll's clothes for me. Gifts for Everly are always simplified (we follow the popular 'Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read' guide), but this year I also wanted the main 'big' present from her Mummy and Daddy to be handmade with love. I sure hope Everly loves her!
'Something she needs' - Stockmar beeswax crayons. I already snuck a couple out for her to play with a few weeks ago as she was constantly trying to steal my notepad and pen. Now she sits and draws at the table next to me while I write shopping lists and meal plans.
A dress I picked up on sale at Target a couple of months ago, then a size too big, will be her 'something to wear'. And 'something to read' - this and this. Plus a little something special in her stocking from Father Christmas - a small wooden car, and a tiny felt ladybird.
I like to think our simple gift giving will begin to instill gratitude and thoughtfulness in our little one, and not of excess and want and greed which is so often found at this time of year. I've been including Everly in our handmade Christmas wherever I can, and I look forward to the many years ahead of Christmas crafting together. Gifts for others have been bought locally or online to shelter her from the manic rush rush rush in the major shopping centres (and for my sake, too!)
This Christmas feels very special as it's the first time Everly seems to really sense that something is happening. Tonight, when we return home from our Christmas Eve feast and Everly is sleeping peacefully, we will carefully place her gifts under the tree and head to bed ourselves for a much-needed rest, dreaming of the joy that tomorrow will bring.
She is absolutely gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas! Wishing you a most beautiful time.
Nina x
She is so pretty, what a wonderful gift.
ReplyDeleteHi Jess, I found you via IG..nice to 'meet' you :)
ReplyDeleteI really love Everly's waldorf doll, well done for making her, she is beautiful and I am sure your daughter will get much pleasure from playing with her.
We decided very early in our parenting days that we didn't want to go over board at Christmas time so we only ever give our children 2-3 things each. Personally, I think less is more and the mantra you follow of something to wear/read/want/need is a great one.
Tammi x
What a beautiful, clever Mumma you are! And what a blessed little one to have parents who care so deeply and provide such thoughtful, inspiring gifts. Alison Lester is a BIG favourite here too! Wishing you a grand New Years! :) x
ReplyDeleteOh wow - I'm super impressed! She looks like such a great little companion for Everly. They are certain to have some fun adventures together.....There is so much more joy in giving only a handful of gifts - and pondering each present carefully. You always end up with gifts that are cherished. I'm sure Everly's Christmas was magical x
ReplyDeleteThat doll is just the most beautiful little thing I have ever seen! How clever you are xx
ReplyDelete