13 December 2012

CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. (I can't stop singing that tune at the moment, either!)

The tree is up. Our first real tree (both Mark and I grew up with the fake plastic variety) and the first time Everly is beginning to understand what Christmas is all about. We decorated the tree together on Saturday afternoon - she in charge of the non-breakable baubles at the bottom, while Mark and I hung the ceramic and glass keepsakes on the top half. Then we danced around the living room to Christmas carols playing on the record player.

Our new handmade Waldorf angel is sitting proud at the top, Everly's special star from paper boat press is there too, and her stocking is hanging from the mantel (a tradition from Mark's side of the family). I have been busy finishing her handmade Christmas gift (more on that soon!) and She & Him Christmas tunes are on every day. Best of all, the whole house smells deliciously like pine.

Over the next week or so, we will make our own wrapping paper, finish off a few little handmade gifts for close family and friends, visit the Brewery Lights (a tradition on my side of the family), and visit the Christmas fair at the Willunga Waldorf School. On Christmas Eve, we will sit down for a full German feast, watch the carols on TV and eat way too much food. We will leave out milk and cookies for Father Christmas, and some carrots for the reindeer (I always looked forward to this as a child!). On Christmas Day, we will visit both mine and Mark's families and, again, eat way too much food!

The heavy weight I felt last year leading up to Christmas is nowhere to be seen. This year I am just enjoying being with my little family, creating traditions and making memories.

What will you be doing in the lead up to Christmas? Do you have any special Christmas traditions that are unique to your family?

4 comments:

  1. Your tree looks just gorgeous!! I have never had a real tree either, I can't even imagine how amazing they smell :)
    I love Everly's little star ornament, so simple & cute. We got Paige a glass bauble with her name on it & I'm thinking I want to start a tradition of buying her a new ornament every year. We don't really have any specific traditions as such so I want to start some now Paige has joined our little family :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And such a beautiful tree. I love the smell of a real christmas tree as much as the look - happy traditions.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tree, it is more than beginning to look like Christmas there. You captured it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments - it always makes my day! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...