19 August 2011
just us two
The first six weeks of my breastfeeding experience were, in one word, terrible - poor attachment, cracked and bleeding nipples, nipple shields, low milk supply, and an underweight and very hungry babe, which finally led me to taking domperidone to increase my supply, to which I'm slowly weaning myself from. I'd always planned to breastfeed for at least 12 months, so I'm extremely glad (and unashamedly proud of myself) I didn't give up in those early weeks, even through the tears and middle-of-the-night breakdowns where we were this close to driving to the shop for some formula.
It's moments like this - just us two cuddled up together on the couch, Everly falling asleep at the breast - I will always cherish.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You should be very proud, breastfeeding can be such a hard journey and your determination is paying off.
ReplyDeleteYour little one is adorable
I agree with the above comment. These moments are so precious. Breastfeeding is really tough at first. I had the exact same problems as you...in fact they were worse the second time around with Bertie, which I think made it seem harder for me, as I assumed it would be easier having done it before. We battled through though and are still going at 19 months (it’s hard to stop)! Well done you for persevering, as I know how hard those first 3 months are. Hope you’re all well :)
ReplyDeleteI was so shocked when breastfeeding didn't seem to come so 'naturally'. But I, like you, was completely determined to breastfeed. It took a few weeks, but we got there. And trust me, it only gets better. When they start playing and laughing with you during feeds... it's just the most beautiful thing ever. Magical. Well done for sticking with it! x
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful photo and what a beautiful baby! You story is quite inspirational. Breastfeeding is hard work but you seem to have had a particularly tough time so it's great that everything has worked out.
ReplyDeletei want badly to breastfeed when our little one arrives but i do fear the obstacles. i hope i am able to persevere as you have and to reference those that tell their stories of triumphing through the difficult patches.
ReplyDeletep.s. everly is darling!
Thanks Lila! Your little Evie is pretty adorable herself :)
ReplyDeleteKerry, it's always reassuring to know other mums have gone through similar experiences and that it does get better. That is awesome you are still breastfeeding Bertie at 19 months! I am a big advocate for long-term breastfeeding and hope Everly and I can continue this journey together for a couple more years at least!
Claire, I was so devastated when breastfeeding didn't come to me 'naturally' either. As I have really large breasts I knew it was going to be difficult, but I didn't really expect the emotional rollercoaster I was about to go on! Everly started the pulling off and smiling game a few weeks ago - you're right, it is the most beautiful thing ever! :)
Thank you for your kind words sassandspice - I'm glad everything worked out in the end too!
Congratulations on your pregnancy Jaclyn! Breastfeeding is such a magical thing between mother and baby, it really is worth persevering through all the obstacles. I wish you all the best in your breastfeeding journey!
breastfeeding is amazingly close & easy when it's easy, but man oh man, when it's not, it's anything but! i had 2 totally different experiences with my 2. my little girl was 100% not interested so i gave her EBM for 8-9 months & then my little boy was a total natural at it & loved it! go figure! good on you for persevering with it though because it is an amazing thing to experience if you can. x
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome!
ReplyDeleteYou did such a good job. Congratulations :)
kk, congratulations on persevering with EBM for so long with mirka - amazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Claudia for your kind comment! :)